On my way outside to water the garden I was met by 2 interesting young men. One was carrying brooms, dusters, and first aid kits and escorting a blind man. Surely these were not from the "Molly Maids" cleaning agency. I was quickly informed that they were with Intermountain Handicap Services and were trying to raise money to ensure that handicapped people are able to work. I listened to their pitch and invited them downstairs where Juvenessa was doing hair because we both have a soft spot in our hearts for these folks and I wanted to hear the pitch again. I knew I was going to purchase whatever the price.
I was told I could buy the whole set for the low price of $185, followed by a quick just kidding. The blind and proceeded to identify the item by touch and point out the jewels that I could buy. A 170 piece deluxe first aid kit. Great for cars or when the cat scratches you. Juvenessa was immediately sold and for just $30. Also available a fire extinguisher that works just like hairspray although they don't recommend we put it in our hair. They used it to extinguish some unfortunate flames on the 4th of July. A duster way better than swiffer because it extends to 26 inches for those tough corner and is not disposable. It also makes for a great cat toy. Next were the brooms of which there were 3 to choose from. I was informed the red and black model that I was eyeing was the best broom ever made, great for indoor or outdoor use and for all those hard to reach places. I knew then I had to own this broom. For only $60 I was the proud owner of the best broom ever made and Juvenessa of a deluxe first aid kit. Already it has been put to use and it proves to sweep beautifully.
My brother is also handicapped and has been blessed to have a place to go everyday and work and mingle with other people. I am so grateful for companies who are willing to hire disabled people. Scooby's life has been filled with amazing people willing to love and serve those less fortunate. I was reminded of the love that Heavenly Father has for each of his children and felt lucky to donate to their cause. We all give in whatever way we can and while I have not played an active role in taking care of disabled people I am certainly grateful beyond words to those that do. Giving a small donation definitely does not compare with service but I will give monetarily and serve in other areas where I have strengths.
I Do Now
5 days ago

When I read this it made me happy. Keep blogging sister, yours is a joy to read. Love ya, Shelle.
ReplyDeleteI am so sad that we only got to talk for a few seconds tonight. It was great though. I did have one thing I couldn't tell you... I guess I did tell you on the message that I loved the post you did on "The Burton Brigade," but I also was SO SO proud of your first fondant cake! Wow! That's so cool! I am going to attempt something for Aly's second BDay. I'll let you know how it goes...
ReplyDelete