Saturday, March 21, 2009

Better than a Nickname

I've always wanted a true nickname. At 27 years old I have passed the acceptable age to receive a true nickname. Rest assured my kids will each be given a nickname......after all they are so affordable. Rules for a true nickname:

  1. It must be given to you by someone else
  2. Must be given while still in your youth
  3. If nickname is presented because owner begged for it, it's not a true nickname
  4. It can't be a variation of your name (Tanner says my nickname is Auty but that violates the rules).
  5. The nickname must stem from the persons personality or a behavior.
  6. Must be proudly accepted by owner of nickname
  7. Nickname must be used regularly by other people

At one point I pronounced my name as Audy Loopy Coopy and was told that was my nickname. Unfortunately that was a variation of Autumn Larene Cooper and broke rule #3 and rule #5 because I didn't proudly accept it. Other nicknames I turned away were Bottom Latrene Pooper for obvious reasons, Autumn Cooper the Automatic Pooper Scooper. Kids in elementary school had a blast with my name.

Summer often calls us Tanner and Autumn because that's what we call eachother and she models whatever we do. I think it will get easier for Tanner and I to call eachother Mom and Dad when we have more kids and are older. I feel too young to start calling my husband Dad. Today Tanner asked Summer what his name was and she responded, "daddy." Then he asked her what my name was and she looked over at me and said "mommy." I have waited a long time to be a mommy and I felt my heart swell a bit with pride to be someone's mommy. Being called mommy is better than any nickname I could ever receive.

I still kind of want a nickname and I am considering revising the rule list to omit rule #2 if the right name is presented to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment