Some time ago I committed myself to good nutrition and health. I wanted to be ready to raise kids that would leave home with only the best of habits. The majority of the time I avoid sugar because of the negative effect on my moods. Consequently sweet things rarely find there way to our table. To my family's dismay I skipped the chapter on "Treats do not destroy the family." Inspired to be a better wife and homemaker by my friend Ashlee and the NieNieDialogues I had made up my mind; I would begin baking treats with my family on a monthly basis at minimum. If steps were not taken soon I fear my children would have a warped relationship with the "fun foods" and pandomonium would strike in my absence. Growing up I knew a woman who kept her sugar under lock and key because sugar was forbidden and therefore the kids craved and snuck straight sugar.
It is time for me to find balance and create a enjoyable dessert environment from time to time. The fun began last night as we made very chocolatey chip cookies as a family. I had decided to follow the recipe implicitly beforehand and not allow my healthy radar to interfere but I broke down and substituted white flour with whole wheat flour. Tanner was responsible for the chocolate chip quantities for obvious reasons. I suffered a minor set back and had to take a few breaths....embarassing. My response shocked me and I have decided home made cookies must frequent my home more often so that I can become less crazy. The cookies were still delicious even with the substitions. Hooray for healthier cookies! As it turns out the batch of cookies didn't hurt anybody except for me. It's a good start and maybe next time we are baking I will enjoy the whole process. Let the hunt begin for delicious healthy desserts because I have turned over a new leaf.
I Do Now
5 days ago

Yay for healthy cookies and yay for blogging! I officially welcome you to the bloggosphere and hope you love it! I look forward to reading all of your posts :)
ReplyDeleteSometimes cookies are good for the soul, and very very good for the marriage aka pink frosted sugar cookies being my sweethearts love language of choice.
ReplyDelete